Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Monday, February 3, 2014
This week's delicious Meatless Monday recipe comes to us from my great friend Andy Teixiera, Executive Chef at the Walpole Country Club, southwest of Boston.
Andy points out that there are a couple ways to finish this dish, so be creative and make it your own!
2 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4" planks
4 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & black pepper
1 shallot, minced
4 cloves garlic, slivered
1 bunch broccolini, chopped
1/4 C white wine
2 Tblsp basil, chiffonade
1 C chopped oven-cured tomatoes
2 C cooked red quinoa
1 C grated Parmesan cheese
1. Lightly oil and salt & pepper eggplant planks. Grill on both sides until eggplant is pliable.
2. Add remaining oil to a large skillet and sweat the shallots and garlic, just until tan in color. Add the broccolini and sauté until bright green.
3. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, and reduce. Add the basil, tomatoes, quinoa, and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste.
4. Place filling onto the end of an eggplant plank and roll up. If necessary, secure with a toothpick.
5. At this point, there are a few finishing options. Decide your preference from the following:
A. Top with cheese and bake.
B. Bread by dipping into beaten eggs, then Italian style breadcrumbs, and bake.
C. Place in casserole dish with tomato sauce and cheese, and bake until bubbly.
Chef Andy prefers topping the rollatinis with fresh mozzarella, and baking g until golden. Then, he serves over a rustic tomato sauce and garlicky zucchini noodles.