Today's Meatless Monday recipe comes to us from my friend, Courtney Walters, from Davenport, Iowa. This recipe is simple, and one of Courtney's favorite vegetarian dishes! She even goes a step further, and bakes her own whole wheat buns. She found, and adapted this recipe from the book Veggie Burgers Every Which Way by Lukas Volger. Another of his books that is on Courtney's favorites list is Vegetarian Entrees That Won't Leave You Hungry.
Now, for the recipe! Thanks, again, Courtney!
|Photo by Courtney Walters. homemade Black Bean Burger on homemade |
whole wheat bun, served with a kale/chard Caesar slaw and melon.
Easy Black Bean Burgers
1 1/2 C cooked black beans (or 1 can)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
3/4 C bread crumbs, plus more, if necessary
2 tsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, mash the cooked beans with a potato masher or fork.
3. Fold in the eggs, parsley, Parmesan, mustard, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
4. Fold in the bread crumbs, adding more if mixture is too loose. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, to
allow the breadcrumbs to absorb the moisture.
5. Adjust the seasonings and shape into 4 patties.
6. In an oven-safe pan, or nonstick sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot,
add the patties and cook until browned on each side, 6 to 10 minutes total.
7. Transfer the pan to the oven, and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the patties are firmed