2 C Basmati rice
2 C water
1 Tblsp butter or oil
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 small tomatoes, diced
1/2 C mint leaves, chopped
1/2 C cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt, to taste
2 cardamon pods
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole cloves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1. Rinse the rice with water and drain. Soak in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes.
2. Place butter in a pressure cooker pan, over medium-high heat.
Note: You can alternately prepare this recipe in a pan with a tight fitting lid, such as a Dutch
oven. If you do not use a pressure cooker, use 3 cups of water in step 1.
3. When melted, add the cumin seeds. When the pan's contents begin to sputter, add the
remaining whole spices and fry until aromatic.
4. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
5. And the minced garlic and grated ginger. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes, and continue cooking for enough time to heat them through, and remove some the raw flavors.
7. Add the mushrooms, spice powders, and salt. Continue to cook.
8. When the water from the mushrooms is reduced, add the mint, half the cilantro, and the
9. Close the pressure cooker lid and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
10. Turn off the heat and open after 10 minutes.
11. Garnish with remaining cilantro, and serve with yogurt.