Also, I am appearing on Cooking With Carol, this afternoon, to demonstrate one of these side dishes: Pecan Praline Sweet Potatoes. It's a wonderful twist on the sweet potato side dish. As you dip your spoon in, the crunchy praline topping gives way to the custardy whipped sweet potato layer. Your guests will be dazzled by the absence of burnt marshmallows perched on canned yams!
4 C mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 C white sugar
2 Tblsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, beaten
8 oz heavy cream
1/4 lb butter
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C flour
1 1/4 C pecans, chopped
1. To get your mashed sweet potatoes: wash, peel, and cube approximately 2 lb of sweet
potatoes. Boil until the cubes are soft enough to be mashed easily. Drain and mash.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, and
cream. Blend well, and spread evenly in a lightly buttered 2 quart casserole dish.
4. Combine the butter, brown sugar, flour, and pecans. Mix until crumbly, and sprinkle over the
sweet potato base.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
|1.||Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.|
|2.||Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook uncovered until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain in a colander, then immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes until cold to stop the cooking process. Once the Brussels sprouts are cold, drain well, and cut in halves or quarters, depending on size. Set aside.|
|3.||Meanwhile, place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until limp and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper then toss for about 1 minutes to evenly distribute the seasonings. Arrange bacon and Brussels sprouts on the prepared baking dish. Pour cream evenly over the Brussels sprouts, then sprinkle breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese on top. Distribute pieces of butter over the bread crumbs.|
|4.||Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and heated through, 20 to 25 minutes.|
8oz. cream cheese, softened
2 C. powdered sugar
15oz. can solid pack pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix)
1 Tblsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tblsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. frozen orange juice concentrate
1. In a medium bowl, cream the cream cheese and powdered sugar together, until smooth.
2. Gradually add the pumpkin.
3. Stir in the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and orange juice concentrate, until smooth and well incorporated.
4. Place into serving vessel and chill before serving, at least one hour.
5. Serve with graham crackers, gingersnaps, and/or any other item you would prefer.
Makes approximately 4 Cups of dip.
Pecan Cheesecake Squares
1½ C all-purpose flour
¾ C firmly packed light brown sugar
½ C butter, softened
½ C finely chopped pecans
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
½ C sugar
½ C milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pecan Pie Layer:
¾ C firmly packed brown sugar
½ C light corn syrup
1/3 C butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
1½ C pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. For the shortbread layer: In a medium bowl, combine flour and ¾ cup brown sugar. Using a pastry
blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in ½ cup pecans. Press mixture evenly
into bottom of a greased 9”x13" baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes; remove from oven, and cool slightly,
about 10 minutes.
3. For the cheesecake layer: Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer outfitted with a paddle
attachment, and beat at medium speed until smooth. Beat in sugar. Add milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla,
and beat until combined. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the cooled shortbread layer. Bake for 15
minutes; remove from oven and cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
4. For the pecan pie layer: In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ¾ cup brown sugar, corn syrup, and
melted butter. Gently stir in the eggs, salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir in 1½ cups
pecans. Pour pecan mixture over cooled cheesecake layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until center is set
and pecan pie layer is a rich brown color.
I prefer serving this dessert chilled, and cut into squares or triangles.